Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hells Training Camp! Week 1

Well finally arrived! (and finally updated my blog!!)

Into Day 3 now and the last 3 days have been among the hardest but greatest experience of my Judo life. Here's  a quick Run down of whats been happening



THURSDAY (last week)

Arrived on Thursday morning and got everything sorted after 24 LONG Hours of travel! In the evening was a session and they suggested I rest but I was super eager to get on the mat. Also for me the way I look at life now is that everyday I am here is a day I'm not with my Son so I need to make the most of it..

So French national team was at the session and first randori up I got to fight Fabre (3rd at last Worlds) was so awesome I was sorta smiling to myself that I get to fight this quality of fighter... Then about 3mins in my Lungs were saying ARGH!!!!!?!!?! It was definitely a good way to get over the Jet Lag!

FRIDAY (last week)

There was no training scheduled to day so I visited a Ju Jitsu club called Alliance BJJ, there coach there is a legend (4th Dan BJJ) and the guys there had super solid game. They were all White or Blue belts but these guys were very strong (probably Purple/Brown by NZ standards?). Talking to one of the guys he said that there coach is very strict on grades and relucant to give them out (which I liked).

The guys there were training for the european champs which was pretty cool again to roll with some of the creme de la creme.

SATURDAY

Rest, the other guys arrived so was real good to catch up/talk to people etc..

SUNDAY

Just did some 400-600m sprints around a park... yup running is still stupid!

MONDAY (HELLS TRAINING DAY 1 [HTD1])

AM:

The training in the morning was a mix of weights and judo.. as follows

A1 Bench Press 7 reps (around 110kgs for me.. top guys doing 120-140)
A2 Horizontal Row 7 reps
A3 5x 20s Grip Fighting

Repeat for 7sets

For those that don't know grip fighting the intensity is CRAZY high add that to coach yelling + People trying to take your head of = Huge Anaerobic demand! Then throw the weights into the mix

Then we followed it with

B1. Leg Press 7 reps (dunno the weight.. prefer not to!)
B2. Back Extensions 10 reps
B3. Plyo Box Jump over 2x 5reps
B4. Uchi-komi/Nage Komi 3/1

again done for 7 sets

Then to finish we did 300 uchi-komi (which is coming in for a throw but not completing it)

In a sick/dementated way I really enjoyed this! It was so hard but in my mind I was keeping positive affirmations (this is why you're here! This is awesome! You're so lucky to be here!) and at the end of it I was shattered but happy!


PM: Randori

So the evening session was just fighting/sparring we did abit to warm up for about 20-30mins and then it was effectively an hours worth of fighting. I was fighting well today had a good focus and was really working hard on implementing stuff that is going to help me improve my Judo.. once again shattered at the end of it!

TUESDAY (HTD2)

AM

This morning was ground fighting in for the morning session... was a great wakeup call as to how big weaknesses in my ground game and was crazy exhausting at the same time. I got choked out in one fight (followed by coach saying "Welcome to Paris!") but other than that I was holding my own however a lot of holes that I need to patch. We drilled some techniques but for the majority of the 2hours we were fighting!

MID DAY

We had an hour 'technical session' during the day... now normally technical session = low intensity HAHA not so learnt some really good techniques and some nice variations on a theme with throws I'm already familar with so was a really valuable session

PM

Randori (sparring) again todays was alot more intense than monday and I got my ass handed to me quiet often! I lost focus a few times as it became a war of attrition but I was trying really hard to just focus on doing the new stuff I had learnt. Was definitelly a 'low' session for me but I still learnt a lot, every Judoka has sessions like that but you've got to take the positives out of it. For me I find it easy to be motivated because of what I'm sacrificing and my support at home so while sessions like this get you down I get over it pretty quickly + learn from it and move on.

WEDNESDAY (HTD3)

AM

Session was the same as monday morning, was nice to lift some weights, actually helped loosen me up a bit! Also on the horizontal row I was able to bump the weight up quiet a lot so I was happy with this.. Bench.. not so much! But it's awesome training with the really strong guys here because it's really motivating to lift more/ train harder.. Iron sharpens Iron!


So this evening we have a technical session which will be good then tomorrow morning is ground fighting. After this me and Mark are of to Tblisi, Georgia for a World Cup event, this is the first of about 5-6 tournaments over the next 3months which is exactly what I need!

Anyway untill next time!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in Tblisi;
    Did you get to the Press before you left?
    Have you a master plan for the year you could send for the local news??
    regards
    Graeme S

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best Jason. The longets journey begins with the first step and ypou are now well done the first road!
    Jim McPhee

    ReplyDelete