Thursday, February 24, 2011

Everybody is fighting something....

It's been just over 24 hours since one of Christchurch's darkest days..

I woke up like 'any other Tuesday' at 5:40 to get ready for training, alarm went off, checked facebook then time seemed to stop. Reading peoples status' made me realise this was no 'aftershock'....

Quickly I tried to get my phone onto a network so I could call home, it took a few minutes which felt like an hour but finally I was able to call home.. Thankfully everyone in my family was ok but it was still one of the most unnerving phone calls I've had to make, the strain on Cushlas voice made me realise how real this all was and throughout the day it got even realer..

The scenes of Christchurch, MY CITY, being in ruins bought tears to my eyes, was hard to hold back seeing the iconic parts of Christchurch knocked down. Seeing videos of people devestated made me feel sadness, anger, helpless and scared all at the same time.

Words still seem to escape me but all I could think to myself was something I'd been saying/thinking a lot which was a quote by Renzo Gracie - 'Everybody is fighting something'

Just one week ago I was fighting fit and had a real 'coming of age' fight for me vs one of the best out there. My fight was simple, Judo.

Then after this I was on the injured list but again my fight was simple, rehab my body and do everything I can to get back on the mat.

Then just over 24hours ago the fight became something much bigger.. What can I do to help my city... Being on the opposite side of the world made this difficult.


The only thing I can really do is provide positivity, lend an ear to those who need it and do my best to try and uplift my community.

Here's one thing I know about Christchurch people. They're tough, not the 'walk around being staunch' tough but the 'Do what we gotta do' tough. One of the reasons I love my city is the sense of community we have there.

So while Christchurch is going through some of the toughest times and some people are mourning I know we'll get through this.

Kiwis fight. And no matter what the fight is We expect to win.We Don't quit. And even when we do lose We Come Back Stronger..

Everybody is fighting something... Sometimes the fights are harder than others, sometimes there's more on the line and sometimes we feel like there's no hope But I know this is one fight Christchurch will win.

3 comments:

  1. that is a great blog about our city babe the picture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right we stand Tall and Proud and we do this together.
    This is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank u for your kind words u have given me hope for me and and all our whanua its very true in what u say thank you Jason u are awesome.

    ReplyDelete