Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bionx, Quotes to live by, Christchurch

Well it's been a pretty interesting week both here and back home. The devastation of the earthquake is still the dominant thought on everyones mind no doubt but what is amazing, and I mean AMAZING, is the sense of unity and community that has come out of this all. It really is unbelievable seeing images of people of all walks of life side by side bonded by the unity and pride of our city.



On my end, I've been having my own little fight with injury. I damaged my sternoclavicular joint (SC) in Germany just over 10days ago and have been on the recovery ever since... The time of recovery is suppose to be 3-4weeks but I think I'll be back in Randori next week.

I haven't stopped training. I've just had to modify my training to suit what I can do. I force myself to watch the Randori (sparring) which I can not do so that I get hungry for it, I feel a fire burning in me when I watch the Randori! I want to be out there so bad!


In the gym I've been doing 1 Arm weights for my upper body and the last few days I've moved onto using my bad arm almost pain free! While the guys do there grip fighting I'm on the bike (Lance Armstrong Styles sans the drugs) so I'm hopefully not losing much other than Judo timing and specific conditioning.


So for me this is what I call 'Bionix'. Whenever I get injured I think of it as me 'rebuilding' myself, starting from scratch and creating a better Jason.

Sometimes it's mentally hard to stay positive, in a lot of situations it's easier to be a victim/negative and let life keep you down but I have a couple of sayings/affirmations that I use to keep me going. They might be cheesy/not make a lot of sense but they help keep me strong:

Difficult Takes A Day, Impossible Takes A Week: This is kind of my way of reminding myself that nothing is out of my reach. I like to put things in perspective, if something is difficult then then I just have to work harder at it.. If it's impossible then I just have to spend more time on it

Always be stronger than yesterday: Pretty self explanatory really but sometimes it feels like you're treading water with your progress but if I know more than I did yesterday then I'm a better fighter, slow motion is better than no motion!

Always train like the challenger: The great thing about being over here is that I am a little fish in a big sea! There's no such thing as an easy fight and most of the guys I fight are better/stronger than me.

What this means to me is that I'm the one with something to prove, I'm a proud Kiwi and I don't want people to think NZers are soft so while I'm not yet where I want to be with my Judo I always tell myself  'I won't be outworked, I want this too bad to fail'

I always train like the challanger..

When Life Gives You Lemons... Paint that shit gold! : Easily my favourite saying. Not poetic like the others but to me it says no matter what situation I face in life I can and will find a positive from it!

Well I hope this gives you some sorta idea about my mindset and why I work like I do. I'm not blessed with great Judo, nor am I naturally athletic, so I have to bring something else to the table.. Mental toughness.

2 comments:

  1. lance armstrong is clean!!!!!!!!!!!!he says so

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum said in reply to Dad...yeah right !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete