Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 1: 8 Weeks Till Take Off

Training starts today... Strength testing.

In 8weeks time I leave to Paris for what will be the hardest training year of my life, last week I was awarded a scholarship to train full time with the French Olympic team, a squad of World and Olympic Champions. The best way to think of it is I'm going to train fulltime with the All Blacks of Judo x 1,000.

The opportunity that I have is amazing, not only will it bring my Judo up to a level it's never been before, but it will also let me experience Europe, learn a new language and knock a few things off my bucketlist.


Strength Testing:


So my build up all starts today.. The main focus of the next 8weeks is to get my strength up and develop my grip fighting, two of the most important things when training in Europe.

So today I will test my strength in 4 indicator exercises:

i. Close Grip Bench Press - 1 RM
ii. Deadlift - 1RM
iii. Chin ups - Max Reps
iv. Barbell Holds - @100kgs till exhaustion

Improvement in these lifts will tell me whether or not I'm getting stronger/my program is working!

The Program:

The routine I'm adopting for training is a variation of Joe Defranco's popular and successful WS4SB routine. I will outline what I do each day as I do it but it basically relies on the premise of what we don't train we lose so it covers aspects of Power, Strength and Hypertrophy.



Judo:

My Judo focus for the next 4weeks will be on technique development (Seoi-nage & O-Soto) and Grip fighting. I've got a great team of guys to train with here so they'll be able to push me as hard as possible over the 4weeks to bring these things up to speed.

The following 4weeks will be focusing on conditioning, ensuring I've got the gas tank to train with the guys in Europe and really prepare my body for the rigors of training.



Nutrition

At the moment I'm basically in my 'offseason' so while I'll adheare to John Berardi's 7 habits of good nutrition I'm going to have relatively relaxed eating as my goals aren't weight loss related, I'll basically be eating for performance.

Supplements will be Fish Oil, HMB and Creatine... mostly beacause that's what is in the cupboard!

OK thats enough for my first post, will aim to update every few days as things progress

No comments:

Post a Comment